Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Integrity Guards Self-Respect - Part 2

Harper Lee in her novel To Kill a Mockingbird noted, "You never really understand a person until you consider things from their point of view, until you climb into their skin and walk around in it." In truth, understanding anyone requires having correct motives and being willing to respect and accept what is different or opposite of what we believe or think.

Self-respect is built on integrity. If true self-respect resides in a person, then the possibility of having respect from and for others will exist. Henry Amiel understood this when he said, "We only understand that which is already within us." Self-respect comes from knowing what is right and doing it. This brings honor to God, self and others.

An old Chinese proverb is instructive: "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Self-respect and self-love are grounded in doing what is upright, good, and godly. Old habits are tenacious, but integrity and endurance must be sought after and practiced. God bless you as you commit to doing so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment