Monday, November 8, 2021

Repent – Don't Return and Resume

When a new beginning fails to meet expectations, returning to a previous position or place is often a first choice. Although this option is convenient, it might not be the best choice. For instance, it would be unwise to tell a new Christian to resume a previous lifestyle after failing to live morally perfect. Encouraging that person to start over with repentance and forgiveness is within the bounds of God’s grace and mercy.

When the Hebrew people failed miserably at being God's people, Moses refused to let them self-destruct in shame and disgrace. Instead he pleaded with God to give them a new beginning.


Deliberate sin and disobedience may have long-term consequences, yet God describes himself as compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love, and faithful to forgive wickedness, rebellion, and sin. If you have fallen short of a new beginning, God will give you a new start and a new attitude along with a new plan of action that he will bless.

___________ 

I have sinned against you – only against you – and done what you consider evil. So you are right in judging me; you are justified in condemning me. Close your eyes to my sins and wipe out all my evil. Create a pure heart in me, O God, and put a new and loyal spirit in me. Do not banish me from your presence; do not take your holy spirit away from me. Give me again the joy that comes from your salvation, and make me willing to obey you.

~Psalm 51:4,9-12 Good News Bible

___________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment