Friday, December 9, 2022

The Test of Temptation

The test of temptation determines if specific values will be abandoned for what appears delightful. The enticement draws you to what is forbidden and taunts you to conform to its captivating image. Resisting becomes difficult as soon as you allow your mind to concoct every possible argument for giving in.

Deceptive reasoning insists, “I am smart and will turn back if I decide this is out of bounds." The cutting edge of temptation deceives your mind and heart by grasping for what promises to fill the gap that separates you from God. We often refuse to accept what God provides by perceiving it as deficient and unrewarding.


While resisting temptation is difficult, it is a frontline defense against its power. Another way of resisting temptation is with an accountability partner. Ecclesiastes 4:12 confirms, "Although one may be overpowered, two plus God can prevail. A cord of three strands is not easily broken." 

___________ 

“Come to me, all of you who are weary and over-burdened, and I will give you rest! Put on my yoke and learn from me. For I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

~Matthew 11:28-30 Phillips – New Testament in Modern English

______________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment