Monday, October 16, 2023

Can There Be a Positive End to Anger?

Anger has the potential for being constructive when it serves as motivation to pursue solutions to issues. All too often, however, anger produces negative consequences for oneself and relationships. Hurt feelings and jealousy often precede anger, as in the parable of the two sons.

After work the older brother came home to discover a party celebrating the return of his wayward brother. The older son refused to participate. Listen to his outrage to his father. “All these years I’ve slaved for you and never disobeyed your orders. You never even gave me a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends.”

What is he expressing? Probably surprise, jealously, disgust – but at his core, hurt feelings have evolved into anger. Anger can be used for introducing needed change that leads to satisfaction with life. God is not interested in you remaining angry. Ask him for wisdom to escape its negative power.   

____________ 

I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking to me about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!

~Isaiah 65:24 The Living Bible

____________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment