Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Fill in the Blank: "_______ Made Me Do It!"

TV news consistently reports on individuals who have violently acted out against others. Statements like, "I was angry," are given as an excuse for acts of aggression. However, there are no rationalizations that excuse unacceptable behavior. Everyone will want to blame others when they fail to live up to what's expected.

The comedian Flip Wilson is remembered for his infamous line, "The devil made me do it!" Even if it were true, we're still held accountable for submitting to temptation. As the day of reckoning approaches, everyone must assume responsibility for their choices or else it will be impossible to receive forgiveness.

Related image Related image

It's at this juncture where the virtue of courage plays a major role in facing responsibility. What Jesus said in Matthew 14:27 to his disciples, he says to us when we’re stressed out or afraid: "Take courage, it is I. Don’t be afraid." Keeping Jesus as the center of your focus gives courage to face what is fearful and difficult.  
_______________________

O loving and kind God, have mercy. Have pity upon me and take away the awful stain of my transgressions. Oh, wash me, cleanse me from this guilt. Let me be pure again. For I admit my shameful deed – it haunts me day and night.
~Psalm 51:1-3 The Living Bible

The Lord is not slow about his promise, in the sense in which some think about slowness, but he is really dealing patiently with you, because he is not willing for any to perish but for all to have an opportunity to repent.
~2 Peter 3:9 Williams – New Testament in the Language of the People




No comments:

Post a Comment