Friday, May 29, 2020

Passing Down Wisdom

Discovering a life worth living depends on choices rather than pretenses of happiness. It's important to focus on what can be discovered at every stage of life rather than strive to conceal the certainty of aging. Attempts to disguise aging become barriers to experiencing the fullness of life God provides.

Photo Of Multi-Generational Asian Family

In some cultures older people are honored for wisdom they pass on to the younger generations. Unfortunately, our society believes aging is an affliction and must be avoided. Self-imposed restrictions on aging often serve as hindrances for receiving the positive benefits of growing older.

My grandmother could not read or write due to circumstances beyond her control. Yet she gained incredible wisdom and passed it on to young people who were drawn to her. She was given the secret of Proverbs 24:14: "Know that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off." Grandmother discovered life was worth living at every stage of her life.  
_______________________

Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your mighty acts to all who are to come.
~Psalm 71:17-18 New International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment