Friday, January 14, 2022

Face Reality and Avoid Disappointment

Hope is always connected to the future. Everyone has had their hopes dashed by an unexpected turn of events, such as being passed over for a promotion when a salary increase would have provided for important needs in the family. Hope has validity when it’s centered on realistic needs.


One of my professors was fond of reminding his students that if they did not study for his exams, they would fail. Yet a friend of mine believed that if he sincerely prayed, God would make sure he passed the exams whether he had studied or not. He failed the exams because of vain expectations and false hope.

When hope has not been realized, disappointment and frustration are usually felt. Yet God’s word points to a better way forward. “Why are you cast down on O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? I will put my hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” Giving praise to the Lord lifts up the heart and soul and restores hope for the future.  

____________

Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear him and worship him with awe-inspired reverence and obedience, on those who hope confidently in his compassion and lovingkindness.

~Psalm 33:18 Amplified Bible

____________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment