Friday, July 8, 2022

Who Is Captain of Your Soul?

In most cases it's easier to give commands rather than receive them. The English poet W. E. Henley wrote, "It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." Has this consistently been your attitude?


In contrast to this attitude, David offered this prayer to God: “Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough, you have also spoken about a blessed future for your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, my Lord and Master?”

The Hebrew name for God that David used in these verses is Adonai, which translates Lord and Master. David could not help but acknowledge God as master of his soul and captain of his destiny when God displayed his future to him. With Jesus Christ as your Lord and Master, your future is secured forever.                   

___________                   

After washing [the disciples’] feet [Jesus] put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? You call me ‘Master’ and ‘Lord,’ and you do well to say it, for it is true. And since I, the Lord and Teacher have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow: do as I have done to you.”

~John 13:12-15 The Living Bible
___________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment