Wednesday, April 5, 2023

How Can Expectations Comply with Reality?

We’re not perfect enough to be continuously happy. Knowing this should prevent unrealistic expectations from being placed on oneself and others. A woman in her mid-twenties related how she canceled her engagement to a man she had dated for three years. The man could not meet her expectations as a future husband.

It’s not uncommon for those stricken with romantic love to project perfection onto the object their affection. I’m not implying that romantic love should not be part of the equation. However, it is possible to overrule the reality of imperfections in order to embrace a desired relationship.


God is always faithful in revealing the true nature and character of another person, where there is an open mind to accept what is true and factual. God sees us as we really are and still loves us unconditionally, and so I offer my thanksgiving. Expectations based on reality make happiness a greater possibility. The faithfulness of God is our greatest source for joy and peace.  

___________ 

To the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge, and happiness.  

~Ecclesiastes 2:26 New International Version

 

I rely on your constant love; I will be glad, because you will rescue me. I will sing to you, O Lord, because you have been good to me.

~Psalm 13:5-6 Good News Bible
____________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment