Monday, April 17, 2023

What's the Danger of Seeking Revenge?

What motivates a person to seek revenge? Betrayal has many faces and cuts deep into the heart and soul of the betrayed and of most betrayers. Throughout history, accounts of betrayal abound. Genesis 4 gives an account of Cain, the son of Adam and Eve, who murdered his brother Abel out of jealously and never repented for doing so.


Cain was hurt from being rejected by God and feeling he could not measure up to his brother. He permitted rejection and anger to evolve into bitterness and rage, where revenge seemed to be his only choice. Murder is an extreme response, but when blinded by jealousy and rage, revenge is taken to the extreme.

Most everyone will come up against the cutting edge of revenge, but seeking it cuts you deeper than the wounds you inflict on others. Psalm 56:6 points out the danger of seeking revenge, for you become its victim. The better way is to give the natural consequences and God time to act on your behalf.  

____________ 

My enemies make trouble for me all day long; they are always thinking up some way to hurt me! They gather in hiding places, and watch everything I do, hoping to kill me. The day I call to you, my enemies will be turned back. I know this: God is on my side – the Lord, whose promises I praise. In him I trust, and I will not be afraid.

~Psalm 56:5-6,9-11 Good News Bible

_____________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment