Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Allow Your Conscience to Accuse or Excuse - Part 2

I overheard a young person express with exasperation, “Why should I follow my conscience? I’d never have fun. What difference does it make? I’d be bored to death and no one would notice I exist.” Even if we deny the existence of our conscience, it still functions and implores us to do what is right, regardless of the outcome.

We may tell our conscience, “Be quiet! Shut up!” Yet there is still an awareness and knowledge that we should behave in accordance with the guidelines of the conscience. C. S. Lewis in his book Mere Christianity explains that being aware of the conscience is not enough to keep us from disregarding it.

Jesus said, “If you love me, you will keep my commands.” 1 John 5:3 confirms that loving God means doing what he tells us to do even though it may be difficult.” Isn’t it interesting that loving Jesus parallels appropriate, godly conduct? Love for Christ Jesus, love for others and love for self inspire compliance with what the conscience requires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment