Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A Bridge to Making Amends

The need to modify behavioral and thinking patterns is a necessity throughout each stage of life. St. Paul speaks for each of us: "When I was a child, I thought like a child, I talked like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became man, I put childish ways behind me." Childish immaturity is often responsible for creating pain and suffering as an adult.  

Image result for two people hugging on a bridge

          Jacob was aware that if he were to be reconciled with his brother, he would have to make amends for suffering and pain he had caused Esau. Making amends would require enduring the consequences for these sinful acts of aggression committed against his brother. For Jacob this would mean committing his prideful attitude to God for redemption.

          Sacrificing pride to make amends is difficult but necessary. Jacob was willing to subject himself to humiliation and scorn so he could live life on a different level from his previous sixty years. One reward for making amends is that it pleases God and brings honor to him. 


2 comments:

  1. Lord help us learn from your word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry. Yes, learning from God's word is a lifetime necessity. God bless you today.

      Delete