Monday, January 18, 2021

Vindication vs. Condemnation

To be condemned is to be judged guilty and undeserving of normal freedoms and privileges. A college professor noted that self-condemnation and self-judgment are among the harshest sentences we impose on ourselves. Robert Burton follows with, it’s our "conscience that makes us reflect upon, accuse and condemn ourselves."

Regardless of how appalling sin is, within most people resides a yearning to be vindicated and absolved of guilt. As Samson was paraded before his enemy to celebrate his capture, he immediately sensed how to vindicate himself from the humiliation of slavery while simultaneously exonerating himself for failing his people.

Listen to Samson’s final appeal: "O Sovereign Lord, remember me. Please strengthen me and let me with one final blow get revenge on my enemies." Have you noticed that, while asking God to meet your need, he may do so while achieving a greater objective? God hears our prayers of desperation and responds in ways that are best for us and others.  

_____________________ 

I said, “I have worked, but how hopeless it is! I have used up my strength but have accomplished nothing.” Yet I can trust the Lord to defend my cause; he will reward me for what I do.

~Isaiah 49:4 Good News Bible

_____________________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment