Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Searching the Heart with Search Talk – Part 3

It's difficult to thoroughly know another person until you’ve seen them at their worst. As a college freshman my son shared an apartment with a friend from high school. By semester’s end he was ready to move in with another friend he believed would be more compatible. We seem destined to search for contentment and happiness.



Virgil, the first century BC Roman poet observed, "Happy is the person who searches out the cause of things by inquiring, questioning, and observing." Wanting to understand why someone made a particular choice motivates search talk. Search talk need not be offensive when designed to benefit each person by discovering truth.


Searching for the truth to better understand a person or situation is acceptable although the truth may be painful. Search talk’s objective is to discover truth, which relies on honesty. The Psalmist invites God to search his heart and to know him so he would be free to truly be himself. You can also give God this invitation, so listen closely to what he finds.  

____________________ 

Look deep into my heart, God, and find out everything I am thinking. Don’t let me follow evil ways, but lead me in the way that time has proven true.

~Psalm 139:23-24 Good News Bible

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

~Psalm 139:23-24 New Living Translation

____________________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment