Friday, August 28, 2020

Passion's Poison: Accept the Antidote!

Samson, an Old Testament character from the book of Judges, is known for his physical strength. He is notorious for having been a passionate person determined to get his way regardless of consequences. His obsession to satisfy his passions is what C. S. Lewis branded as “sweet, sweet poison.”

Samson's passionate determination to get his way is analogous to Adam and Eve’s experience in the Garden of Eden. The fruit on the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil looked enticing, but the moment it was tasted, the consequences became poisonous, just as C. S. Lewis predicted about such an obsession. As their passionate obsession took control, their innocence evaporated.

Adam and Eve discovered that an obsession may promise more than can be delivered. Even with godly passions we can be pulled into an obsession that's based exclusively on the need for self-satisfaction. So who shall deliver us from this self-inflicted poison? “Thank God for Jesus Christ who redeems and saves us.” Christ Jesus is the antidote for passion’s poison.

Laeacco Shining Cross Church Interior View Photography Backdrops ...
____________________

With my whole heart I agree with the Law of God. But in every part of me I discover something fighting against my mind, and it makes me a prisoner of sin that controls everything I do. What a miserable person I am. Who will rescue me from this body that is doomed to die? Thank God! Jesus Christ will rescue me.
~Romans 7:22-25 Contemporary English Version


No comments:

Post a Comment