Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Why Does Violence Rarely Achieve Respect?

Domestic violence is not easy to discuss because it’s so shameful and degrading. The media in the past has focused on men as offenders, but women are currently gaining notoriety. The objective of domestic violence is to establish control through acts of physical aggression.

I once observed a mother of three young children threatening to slap their faces for misbehaving. In frustration she slapped each one with enough force to stun the child. Her use of physical aggression provided momentary control but failed to teach enforceable boundaries her children would honor.

While aggression may furnish a temporary means for exerting dominance and control, it rarely achieves respect and approval. Violence demonstrates a deeper level of impotence and powerlessness. Proverbs 16:32 has this advice: “It is better to be patient than powerful.” Patience is gained by being constant in prayer. 

__________ 

I offer you my heart, Lord God, and I trust you. …I always look to you, because you rescue me from every trap. …My awful worries keep growing. Rescue me from this sadness. 

~Psalm 25:1,15,17 Contemporary English Version
__________

Subscribe to the Attitudes Answers podcast on your favorite podcast platform to hear this and other 2-minute features 3 days every week.


No comments:

Post a Comment