Friday, September 25, 2015

From Industry to Identity - Part 2

Children begin early fantasizing about what they would like to be when they grow up. Can you remember daydreaming and planning your future? As a young adolescent, I imagined myself being the pilot of a supersonic jet fighter. I did serve in the Air Force, but not as a pilot. However I eventually discovered what I could do with my life.

Finding meaning and purpose for life hinges on identity - how I see myself. The main developmental task of adolescence is to lay the groundwork for identity, the person I want to become, as the world of childhood is slowly left behind. For the Christian teenager, it's important to believe God is providing direction and purpose for life.

A crucial awareness, whatever your age, acknowledges that identity is determined by God and your own decisions. Listen to Genesis 1:26. "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness." Acknowledging you are made in God's image provides a solid basis for self-worth and personal destiny. This determines what you choose to do with your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment